I had dentures made by a dentist, and they do not fit properly. I have gone back several times and have had to pay for additional work, and they still do not fit properly. What can I do?

You may submit a complaint to the West Virginia Dental Association. The Dental Association has a peer advisory panel that receives complaints from patients. Complaints can be submitted in writing to the following address: 

West Virginia Dental Association Phone: 1 (304) 344-5246 

2016 1/2 Kanawha Blvd., East  Email: WVRDS@aol.com

Charleston, WV 25311 http://www.wvdental.org

You may also send a complaint to the state Dental Licensing Board at:  

West Virginia Board of Dental Examiners Phone: 1 (877) 914-8266  

PO Box 1447 Email: wvbde@suddenlinkmail.com

Crab Orchard, WV 25827 http://www.wvdentalboard.org

If neither the Dental Association nor the Dental Licensing Board is able to resolve the problem, you may file a lawsuit. At trial, expert testimony is required to establish that the dentist’s work was below a reasonable standard. Expert testimony is usually quite expensive and may be difficult to obtain for a number of reasons. If the damages you suffer are not significant, it may not be in your best interest to sue. However, if you have suffered serious and/or permanent injury consulting an attorney is the first step to protecting your rights.  

For more information, see: W. Va. Code §§ 30-4-1 to -30 (2015); Fitzgerald v. Manning, 679 F.2d 341 (4th Cir. 1982).