Providing Free Legal Services for WV Seniors
Quality legal services are critical to seniors to protect their homes, income security, access to healthcare and other benefits, and their autonomy. At WVSLA we believe that access to these important services should not be an accident of geography. Needy senior West Virginians age 60 and over anywhere in the state can get our help through this website, or by calling us at 1-800-229-5068. For more information about our services please see this page.
We strive to deliver respectful and culturally competent services to all of West Virginia’s seniors, including lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender seniors.
Learn about our services, our clients, and their legal issues on this episode of The Road Ahead from the WV Library Commission and the WV Bureau of Senior Services Legal Services for Seniors
The position below has been filled. Thank you for your interest.
Hiring Staff Attorney for WV Senior Legal Aid
WVSLA is a free civil legal services provider for West Virginians age 60 and over in all 55 counties. We provide legal advice, legal information, and out of court legal advocacy for seniors. Our casetype priorities include any case where the senior’s home, income security, access to healthcare, or personal autonomy is at stake. Our target client populations include low-income, rural, very elderly, LGBT, minority, and people with disabilities. Almost all of our client contact, both access and delivery, is by phone, email, and mail. We have only one office, in Morgantown, and this staff attorney position is one of two lawyers in our office.
Day to day our staff attorney will:
– Handle client calls for legal advice, information, and advocacy including document review, production of documents, client letters, and follow-up efforts to resolve clients’ problems
– Supervise casework handled by staff paralegals, interns and volunteer advocates
– Engage in other special projects undertaken by the hotline from time to time. Examples may include: develop written, audio-visual or on-line educational material for clients or for advocates, help organize resource materials, present to groups of seniors, families, and aging service providers outside the office
– Engage in targeted outreach activities
– Draft and publish elder law posts on blog and social media
– Cooperate with partnership agency personnel regarding referrals
– Perform additional duties as assigned consistent with qualifications
Skills, qualifications, and experience applicants should have include:
– License to practice law in West Virginia
– Excellent oral communications skills, especially the ability to speak with clients by phone in a professional, respectful, courteous, kind, and helpful manner
– Excellent written communications skills on various levels, including letters to clients and other parties, correspondence with other service providers, and clearly written general legal information for the public
– Desire to make a positive difference in the life of every client and to promote justice for all senior West Virginians
– Willingness to embrace changes to policy, protocols, and practices as we continually try to improve our services
– Ability to digest diverse facts as related by clients on the phone and to assemble them into a coherent expression of the relevant issues, conducting research as necessary, to provide client with an understanding of his or her legal position and the most appropriate advice/service/follow-up
– Attention to detail, concern for accuracy, and desire to deliver high quality services.
– Ability to work well in a team, be well-organized and fill in for others in all job categories as necessary
– Computer literacy, plus willingness and ability to learn new tech skills as they evolve
– Experience communicating with senior West Virginians and teaching legal concepts to non-lawyers
– $37,000 annual salary for full-time position
– Benefits include paid annual leave, paid sick leave, paid holidays, life insurance, short term disability insurance, paid bar dues, paid CLE
– Does not include health insurance
Qualified and interested attorneys please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
You can donate to WVSLA by texting the code JUSTICE to +1-855-476-7177
Or visit https://www.omnipledge.com/donate/justice. Thank you for your support!